Wanted: 2017 Inky Awards Judges
If you love reading, talking about books and debating what makes a great book, then apply now to be a 2017 Inky Awards Judge!
What does an Inky Awards Judge do?
- Reads all 20 longlisted books (which you get to keep) within three months (from late April to mid-July).
- In consultation with the other judges, selects the shortlist of 10 books.
- Acts as a champion for the Inky Awards. This means being willing and able to do public speaking events (at your school, at a festival...), responding quickly to media requests, and encouraging your peers to vote in the Awards, both in person and on social media.
To apply, complete the form below and upload your written or video application. Written applications must not exceed 500 words (PDF preferred) and video applications should have a running time of no more than 3 minutes (we'll stop watching one your time is up, so make sure you stick to the time limits!).
Applications are due by 9am AEST on Wednesday 22 March, so get writing!
Update: Applications are now closed.
The Small but Necessary Print:
If we like your application, you will be invited to the second round – a ‘face-to-face’ interview (via online video call). Interviews will be held from 3-7 April 2017, so make sure you’re available and keep a close eye on your inbox!
If your application is successful, we will require written permission from your parent/guardian.
To be an Inky Judge you must be:
- 12-18 years of age (If you are in your final year of high school we ask that you seriously consider your ability to meet the intensive reading requirements – as well as your own study demands – prior to applying.)
- Living in Australia, and staying in Australia throughout the duration of the judging period (April to October).
- Available in the week of 24th-28th July 2017 to convene (online) with the other judges. This is a critical part of the judging process and may mean missing your book club/soccer training/drama/choir/other evening lessons for that week.
If you're looking for tips on how to submit an AMAZING application, here's 2015 judge Jordan’s video application, 2012 judge Elizabeth's written application, and a video with some advice from 2013 judge Lily.
The successful applicants will be announced in May.
Check out the 2016 Inky Awards judges announcing their shortlist in August last year. Might this be your future?