Petunia Dursley: A Sympathetic Character?
The Dog team had a lovely group of work experience students this week and it provoked some enthusiastic discussion on a range of different teen series. While Twilight, Vampire Academy and the Mortal Instruments series all were discussed by not as much as that of the Harry Potter series.
I brought up the idea that Petunia, the horrid aunt of Harry Potter, was a character that grew on me enormously during the series. I admit that the final book expanded on this the most but my heart strings do tug for her.
- She loved her sister, Lily Potter.
- She sorely wanted to be a part of the wizarding world having asked Dumbledore to be admitted to Hogwarts. This rejection then lead to more hate.
- She might be described as being horse-like in appearance, she never dressed like one :)
- She was envious of Lily, her older sister. Not only was Lily older and pretty but she was a muggle-born witch too. Admit it - you would be bitter too if Lily were your sister.
- Though she was awful towards him, she did shelter Harry for his formative years. She had an important role (due in large part to Dumbledore) in keeping him safe while he was an open target.
- Though her hatred of magic was well formed before Harry's birth she has good reasons for her dislike - her sister was magical and left her, she overheard Snape's stories of the horrible Dementors and magical beings murdered her sister and brother-in-law. She has legitiate reasons for being concerned for Dudley's wellbeing.
- I do believe she continues to mourn her sister.
Am I being too soft hearted?
Image source: Bronze Hair Official